Pike County ILTidbits Project

 


Register | Forgot Password
Boggs, John C. F.
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.


Previous Article | Next Article

Share
Boggs, John C. F.
Contributed by Barbara
Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report


Source: Past and Present of Pike County, Page 626-627

JOHN C. F. BOGGS

John C. F. Boggs, the owner of three hundred and ninety-seven acres of valuable land in Pike county, is one of the native sons of Illinois, born in Morgan county on the 8th of March, 1846. The family is of Scotch lineage and was founded in America by the great-grandfather of our subject, who settled in this country prior to the war for independence. His son, John Boggs, the grandfather, lived and died in Hamilton county, Ohio. His father, William G. Boggs, was born in Nova Scotia in 1803, and when a young lad was taken by his parents to Virginia, whence he afterward removed to Ohio with his father and mother. He arrived in Illinois about the year 1840 and later began farming on his own account in Morgan county, having one hundred and twenty acres of land. On this tract he built a log cabin, which he occupied until 1856, after which he spent two years in Jacksonville on account of the health of his wife. On the 28th of September, 1857, he removed to Pike county, where he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land that was partially improved. He placed the remainder under cultivation and carried on general farming, the fields becoming very productive, so that good harvests were annually gathered. He never cared for public office although he acted as school director. He kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day, however, and voted with the republican party. His religious faith was that of the Methodist Episcopal church and he was found straightforward and honorable in all his relations with his fellowmen, never taking advantage of the necessities of another in any business transactions. William G. Boggs wedded Miss Caroline Fry, who was born in Chemung county, New York, April 11, 1820. His death occurred January 7, 1876, while his wife departed this life December 17, 1900, her last days being passed in Nebraska. They were the parents of four children, three sons and a daughter: Henry C., born in 1844, served for three years in the Civil war as a member of Company F, Ninety-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry and is now living in Florence, Colorado. John C. F. Boggs is the next of the family. Samuel H., born May 6, 1850, is now living in Trumbull, Clay county, Nebraska. Myra J., born April 29, 1856, married W. F. Cobb and is living in Chicago.

The mother of our subject was born near Big Flats, New York, April 11, 1820, and was a daughter of Charles and Phoebe (Burk) Fry, who were also natives of the Empire state, where their ancestors settled at a very early period in the history of the new world, Mr. and Mrs. Fry becoming residents of Illinois in the latter part of the '30s, taking up their abode in Morgan county, where their remaining days were passed. It was at Meredosia, Morgan county, that Mr. and Mrs. Boggs were married in 1842.

John C. F. Boggs is indebted to the public school system of Morgan and Pike counties for the educational privileges he enjoyed, having come to the latter with his parents when eleven years of age. He early became familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist and has made farming his life work. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey he chose Miss Sarah M. Stauffer, whom he wedded on Christmas day of 1879. She was born August 18, 1853, of the marriage of John and Sarah (Hilliard) Stauffer. Her father was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, April 15, 1817, and the mother's birth occurred in Virginia, January 4, 1814. Both reached an advanced age, Mr. Stauffer passing away in Fairmount township, April 25, 1885, and his wife in the same township, November 6, 1882. When a boy Mr. Stauffer accompanied his parents on their removal from Pennsylvania to Ohio and later came with them to Illinois, where they settled about 1834. He attended the public schools in this state, was married at the age of twenty-three years and then started out in life on his own account. He entered eighty acres of timber land from the government, from which he cut the trees and prepared the land for plowing. His marriage to Miss Hilliard was celebrated in her father's double log cabin. The young couple built them a home of logs on forty acres of land, which the wife had entered from the government. The furniture in the little home consisted mostly of stools and a table which Mr. Stauffer made. Later he bought more land and became one of the most prosperous farmers and extensive property holders of the locality, having eighteen hundred acres at the time of his death. He was a very prominent and influential citizen and his political allegiance was given to the whig party. He acted as justice of the peace and school director and he belonged to the Christian church. In their family were nine children, of whom seven are yet living: George W., born October 13, 1840, was a member of Company D, Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and is now residing in Missouri; Jacob E., born January 19, 1842, served with Company F, of the Ninety-ninth Illinois Infantry, now residing in Missouri; Mary E., born August 19, 1843, is the wife of Jasper Seybold and they reside in Harvard, Gay county, Nebraska; Louisa died in infancy; William H., born January 23, 1847, is living in New Salem township; Nancy L., born April 16, 1850, is the wife of John Hoffsess, of Missouri; Mrs. Boggs is the next of the family; John C., born August 7, 1855, is living in Fairmount township. Their youngest child died in infancy.

Unto our subject and his wife have been born four children, of whom one died in infancy, while John W., born November 5, 1882, died October 3, 1897. Chrissie H., born September 12, 1886, and Sarah E., October 4, 1891, are at home.

Before his marriage John C. F. Boggs began farming for himself upon eighty acres of land in Piatt county, Illinois, where he remained for four years. He then returned to Fairmount township, where he resumed general agricultural pursuits and subsequently he purchased the interests of the other heirs in the old homestead property in 1878. He has since added to this tract until within its borders are now comprised three hundred and ninety-seven acres of valuable land all under cultivation except about one hundred acres of timber. He has just completed a new residence built in modern style of architecture and supplied with all the conveniences and comforts that go to make a desirable home. He has been engaged in general farming and stock-raising upon this place for the past twenty-three years and its excellent appearance indicates his careful supervision and earnest efforts. He has never wished public office but has given his undivided attention to his business affairs, in which he has met with gratifying success. He holds membership in the Church of Christ and in politics is a stanch republican. His farm gives every evidence of careful supervision and practical methods and the owner is a man who in his business relations has been found thoroughly reliable and trustworthy. He has therefore gained the respect of his fellowmen and has also won warm friendships by reason of a genial manner and cordial disposition.

Previous Article | Next Article




Quick Reply
Your Name:
Your Comment:


You may use BB Codes in your message.
Anti-Spam Image:
Type the letters and numbers shown on the left into the box on the right (this is to prevent automated submissions).
security image


Members currently reading this thread:

Submitted: 07/02/09

Views: 1406 views. Averaging 0 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Previous Article | Next Article