Pike County ILTidbits Project

 


Register | Forgot Password
Capps, George W.
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.


Previous Article | Next Article

Share
Capps, George W.
Contributed by Barbara
Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report


Source: Past and Present of Pike County, Page 403-404

GEORGE W. CAPPS

George W. Capps, living on section 12, Martinsburg township, is one of the prosperous and up-to-elate farmers of Pike county, his landed possessions comprising two hundred acres of rich and valuable land. He is one of the native sons of the county, his birth having occurred April 2, 1849, in the township which is yet his home. His father, Daniel Capps, was a native of Tennessee, where he was reared, coming thence to Illinois in early manhood. He was one of the early settlers of this county, making permanent location in Martinsburg township about 1830. He there opened up a new farm, performing all the arduous labor incident to the cultivation of new land, his time and energies being given to the improvement of the fields until 1850, when he went to California, where his death occurred. His wife long survived him and reared their family of eight children as follows: Nancy, who is the widow of W. S. Morrison, and resides in St. Louis, Missouri; W. R., who died about 1897; Rachel, the wife of James O. Lewis, of Martinsburg; Maria, the deceased wife of D. P. Lynch; Mrs. Bethena Lewis, a widow, residing in Nebo, Pike county, Illinois; Fannie, the wife of W. H. Gooden, of Pike county, Missouri; Lucinda, the wife of Francis Fowler, of White Hall, Illinois; and George W.

In taking up the personal history of George W. Capps we present to our readers' the life record of one who has a very wide and favorable acquaintance in this part of the state. He was reared in his native township and acquired a common-school education. When fourteen years of age he started out in life on his own account, working by the month as a farm hand and in this way he was employed for ten years, gradually making progress in the business world as his labor proved of greater value to his employers. In May, 1874, he was married in this county to Miss Julia A. Brittain, a native daughter of this section of the state. He then rented a farm and continued to operate leased land for several years, when, with the capital he had saved from his earnings, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section 9, Martinsburg township. There he carried on general farming for twelve years, when he sold that property and in 1892 bought two hundred acres on section 12, Martinsburg township. He has a good farm, on which he has erected a basement barn and he has also built to, and remodeled the house. His labors have made this a well improved property and in addition to tilling the soil he is raising good grades of stock.

Politically Mr. Capps is a stanch democrat but has never sought or desired office. His wife is a member of the Christian church and he belongs to New Hartford lodge of Masons, in which he has filled all of the chairs save that of master. His entire life having been passed in this county, he has become widely known and has witnessed the greater part of the development that has brought the county up to its present state of progress and improvement.

Previous Article | Next Article




Quick Reply
Your Name:
Your Comment:


You may use BB Codes in your message.
Anti-Spam Image:
Type the letters and numbers shown on the left into the box on the right (this is to prevent automated submissions).
security image


Members currently reading this thread:

Submitted: 05/09/09

Views: 309 views. Averaging 0 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.

Previous Article | Next Article