Adams County ILTidbits Project

     


Register | Forgot Password
Delabar, Anton
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.


Previous Article | Next Article

Share
Delabar, Anton
Contributed by Adams County ILGenWeb
Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report



The first German family locating in Quincy was that of Anton Delabar, who with his wife and daughter, Juliane, aged ten years, came to this city in 1833. Anton Delabar was born in 1798 in Schelingen, Grand-duchy of Baden, while his wife, Barbara, nee Linnemann, was born in 1799 in Herboldsheim, Baden. Anton Delabar was a carpenter, and erected the first sawmill on the creek at Third and Delaware streets, being assisted by Henry Grimm, an old pioneer who came to this city in 1834, the mill being run by water-power. Delabar also erected the first brewery on Kentucky, between Fourth and Fifth streets, later removing it to Front and Spring streets, where he continued the business for many years. Anton Delabar was one of the first judges of election in 1840, when the question of incorporating Quincy as a city was voted on by the people. When the votes were canvassed on March 18, 1840, it was found that 228 votes were in favor and 12 votes against the city charter, which thus was adopted. In 1845 Anton Delabar organized the second German military company in Quincy, the "Quincy Jaeger" (ther first German military company, the Quincy German Guards, being organized in 1844 by John Bernhard Schwindeler, taking part in the Mormon war.) The "Quincy Jaeger" Company continued in existence until the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861, when it formed the nucleus of Company J, the German company of the Sixteenth Illinois Infantry.

Capt. Anton Delabar was for many years prominent as a business man in this city. His wife dying in 1860, he in later years returned to his home in Baden, where he died in 1880. Juliane, the eldest daughter, who with her parents came from Germany, grew up in this city and was married to Adolph Kaeltz, one of the pioneers of Quincy. Louise, another daughter of Anton and Barbara (Linnemann) Delabar, was born in Quincy March 21, 1835, being the first child of German parents to be born in this city. She was married to Herman C. Schroer, one of the pioneers of Quincy, who died September 5, 1866. Louise Schroer departed from this life March 9, 1909. One son, P. A. (Duke) Schroer, city clerk of Quincy, was born September 19, 1865. After acquiring his education in the public schools, he learned ther printer's trade in the offices of the Manufacturers' Exchange, the Modern Argo and the Quincy Journal, serving on the reportorial staff of the latter paper and also on the Quincy Herald. He was private secretary to the Hon. J. Ross Mickey, representative of the Fifteenth Congressional District of Illinois, from December, 1901, to March 4, 1903. A vacancy occurring in the office of city clerk in 1910, he was appointed by Mayor John A. Steinbach to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the term, after which he was elected to the office by a vote of the people, for three successive terms.

November 25, 1894, P. A. Duke Schroer married Miss Mary Ellen Brophy, daughter of George Brophy, for many years circuit clerk of Adams County. They have one son, George Carl, and one daughter, Catherine Julia.


Charles Delabar, a son of Anton and Barbara (Linnemannn) Delabar, was born in Quincy, in 1939. He grew to manhood in this city and became interested in the business ventures of his father. At the beginning of the Civil War Charles Delabar rallied to the defense of the Union, enlisting in Company H, Sixteenth Illinois Infantry, and was elected as second lieutenant of the company. But his father, being well along in years, needed the assistance of his only son in business, and so he resigned and came home. He married Miss Anna Thompson, whose father for many years held a responsible position with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, having charge of what is known as Thompson's Switch, north of the city. Charles Delabar at this writing lives in Chicago Heights, where he has two daughters, Mrs. John Cordes and Mrs. Charles Lepper, his wife having died many years.

Surnames in Delabar history include Brophy, Cordes, Grimm, Kaeltz, Lepper, Linnemann, Schroer, Schwindeler and Thompson.

QUINCY AND ADAMS COUNTY HISTORY AND REPRESENTATIVE MEN by David F. Wilcox. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1919. pp 286 - 288.

Previous Article | Next Article




Quick Reply
Your Name:
Your Comment:


You may use BB Codes in your message.
Anti-Spam Image:
Type the letters and numbers shown on the left into the box on the right (this is to prevent automated submissions).
security image


Members currently reading this thread:

Submitted: 05/26/10

Views: 98 views. Averaging 0 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 1 view.

Previous Article | Next Article