Adams County ILTidbits Project


Register | Forgot Password
Blickhan, John
Data, images, etc., found on the website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.

Previous Article | Next Article

Blickhan, John
Contributed by Adams County ILGenWeb
Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report

John BLICKHAN was born April 1, 1800, in Spitzhaltheim, Grand duchy of Hessen. He married Maria Anna RUPP in 1826, she being born in Wurtemberg in 1810. Their first son, George, was born in 1827. In 1830, they came to America, locating at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where their second son, John was born March 2, 1831. The family came to Quincy in 1834 and, soon afterward, settled near Mill Creek, where John Blickhan, who had been a linen weaver in the fatherland, went to farming. When the Quincy House, the first hotel in this city, was built in 1838, John Blickhan came to town and worked as hod carrier on the building. On Saturday evenings, he would carry his week's wages home in the shape of necessaries to life, money being a very scarce commodity in those days. On three different occasions, John Blickhan with his team drove to St. Louis in wintertime for groceries, as the supply of the dealers in Quincy was exhausted. In those days, the pioneers--men, women, and children--wore home-spun clothing, woolen goods made by themselves. They sheared the sheep, spun the yarn, and wove the cloth. John Blickhan died in 1859, whereas his wife survived him many years and died in 1897. George Blickhan, the son born in Germany, in later years moved to Beardstown, Illinois, where he died.
John Blickhan, Jr., who grew up on the farm in this county, gave the writer of this history much interesting information about pioneer life. In his school days, he had to walk seven miles to attend school. Wagons were scarce in those days and of a very primitive construction, the wheels being sawed from the trunks of mighty sycamores. Because of the scarcity of wagons, sleighs were frequently used for hauling in the summertime. John Blickhan, Jr., married Emma Louisa LAMBUR, who was born in Alsace in 1838 and came to Quincy as a young girl. For a number of years, John Blickhan lived in the city, where he proved himself quite a genius at different trades: painter, smith, machinist, carpenter, plasterer, etc., building houses and doing all the work himself. He also built a boat, propelled by an engine that used naphtha as a motive power. At one time he conducted a carriage factory.

John and Louisa (Lambur) Blickhan had quite a family of children, the following still living at this writing: Julius was in the dry goods business in Kansas City, Missouri, and has retired; Edward is in the installment business in Kansas City, Missouri; Albert is a blacksmith in Kansas City, Missouri; Otto is an upholsterer in Kansas City, Missouri; Oscar is a lecturer in medical colleges in St. Louis, Missouri; Raymond is in the notion business in New York City; Mathilda is living in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Alois Blickhan, born in Quincy June 25, 1866, was educated in the schools of this city and later attended Gem City Business College, where he completed a course. He also learned the printer's trade in the office of a job printing company and later worked in several states. While working at his trade in St. Joseph, Missouri, about 1887, he became interested in some medical works. While reading these, he formed the determination to become a member of the medical fraternity. Accordingly, he went to Chicago and matriculated in the Rush Medical College, working in a printing office to pay his expenses there for two years. In 1890, he entered Keokuk Medical College at Keokuk, Iowa, from which he graduated in the spring of 1891. Prior to going to Keokuk, he was a clerk in Hotel Duncan, Burlington, Iowa. Thus, as a printer and hotel clerk, he earned the funds necessary to meet the expenses of his college course. October 3, 1900, he married Antonine DUKER, a daughter of John Hermann and Clara Elizabeth (GLASS) Duker. They have two sons, Norbert and Arthur.

QUINCY AND ADAMS COUNTY HISTORY AND REPRESENTATIVE MEN by David F. Wilcox. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1919. pp 295-296.

Previous Article | Next Article

Quick Reply
Your Name:
Your Comment:

You may use BB Codes in your message.
Anti-Spam Image:
Type the letters and numbers shown on the left into the box on the right (this is to prevent automated submissions).
security image

Members currently reading this thread:

Submitted: 05/26/10

Views: 277 views. Averaging 0 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 9 views.

Previous Article | Next Article